Wine bar

Vallado Três Melros 2018, from Douro

Quinta do Vallado, founded at the beginning of 1716, is one of the oldest and most famous farms in the Douro Valley. It is located on the banks of the River Corgo, close to the town of Peso da Régua. Until 1987, when it was sold, it belonged to the legendary Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira and Quinta’s main activity was the production of Port wine, which was marketed by Casa Ferreira. Then the new company decided to expand its activity in the production of private-label wines. One of these wines is this Douro red wine, named Vallado Tres Melros, from the vintage of 2018.

At Quinta do Vallado one can often observe ‘Três Melros’ (three blackbirds) – the common blackbird, and the protected species white-throated dipper and blue rock thrush – which served as inspiration for the name and label of this wine.

This red wine is a pleasant Douro blend of the Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz, Sousão e Vinhas Velhas grapes.

The grapes were hand-picked and fermented in stainless steel tanks and a small part in granite “lagares”. Fermentation under controlled temperature varying between 23-25 °C with mechanical remontage for one week. 45% aged for 16 months in 225 liters French oak barrels; the remaining 55% aged for the same period in stainless steel tanks.

It was bottled in 2020, made 60.000 bottles.

The wine presents a deep ruby red color with a slight purple hue.

On the nose, concentrated aromas with balsamic notes of oak and vanilla, with black fruits, plum, and blackberry jam.

On the palate, an elegant, dry red wine. A good structure with mature, round tannins, followed by a short, fresh finish filled with notes of licorice. Balanced acidity wine with spicy touches and a medium body.

13,5% ABV.

Best serving at 16 °C of temperature.

Pairing well with roasted red meats, grilled duck or lamb, sausages, or the famous Portuguese Franceshina.

This Douro red wine provides a unique experience that only a typical one of the oldest appellations of origin in the world can offer.

No Comments Found

Leave a Reply